...Tomorrow...

i am BLESSED! it's time for my monthly post so here goes! i just got back from my 10 day vacation to Ohio...what a treat! this trip to Ohio has become a yearly venture for me since last year! my 1st trip to Ohio was in October '10...i had just gotten Divorced & was pretty sad! my trip was a success & pulled me out of my sadness & motivated me to start this blog...hence the namesake: The Rises & Falls!

this year i decided to take a longer vacation knowing that i would have the time of my life...once again! as always...it did NOT disappoint! there is something about spending time there that just brings me back to life! the change in scenary, the good ole country feel, the company of my friend & her kids! so today my post is dedicated to recapping my wonderful vacation, sharing some of the lessons i learned while there, to my wonderful lifelong friend Veronika & to her amazing family: Tobin, Will, Isa & Gabi! Love you guys!

PRE VACATION MENTALITY:
as I headed out for my vacation i decided that i was going to "rough & tough" it out! kinda a la kenny chesney...no shoes, no shirts, no problem...except the girl version was no hair done, no nails done, lil make-up. the latter for me is a BIG deal...i do love my make-up! so i decided i was going to step out of my comfort zone no matter the task! i wanted to enjoy every minute that I had!

Lesson 1: Sing
waking up in a household of 3 kids ages 5, 4 & 1 is ALOT of fun! it's also very active!every morning i was awaken by my lil 1 y/o next door neighbor...Gabi! she'd be singing to the top of her lungs "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow....I love you..." those were the phrases that one could clearly make out & the ones that she emphasized. other days it was "Happy Birthday" & others "Twinkle Twinkle". point being that everyday this lil person woke up with such love & energy that it was contagious. she sang throughout the ENTIRE day! she would even break out into song during mealtime. at any given moment any one of the family members...during my stay myself included...would break out in song to follow lil Gabi along! it made for such a great start to the day. Singing is good for your soul.

Lesson 2: Start Over
one of the mornings that i was there...the kids were having an especially rough morning. they were cranky, crying, whinning & complaining. after several attempts by V to get them to re-group...she couldn't...so she send them all to their rooms. in the meantime she is diligently searching for something online... i watched from a distance. she found what she wanted & then proceeded to gather the kids. suddenly they all come back dowstairs holding hands & they stand in a circle. she tells them that they are going to START OVER. through the speakers on comes a Christian song & they proceed to dance, sing, laugh & giggle. i watch in total amazement at how this set a whole new tone for the day. she could've screamed, punished them but NO she had them START OVER. what a concept. Starting Over can make the difference between having a bad day or just having a bad moment.

Lesson 3: You Can Do It
V is a very strong woman who has overcome ALOT. she is a "go getter" with a win all attitude...she has been that way since we were tiny...no joke! so during my stay i allowed her to be "bully" me because i trust her. i knew she wouldn't steer me wrong & wouldn't let me get hurt. so off i went riding a bike for the 1st time in..well...lets just say ALOT of years. she walked me through how to mount, steer, stop & dismount. i let her "bully" me into even riding in the woods. the whole way the kids are cheering me on "Go Tia Cathy, You Can Do It". i was afraid that i'd break a limb or get lost never to be found again BUT she was determined to make me gain confidence in myself. my trust in her saw me through it. then i decide to zip-line through the forest. though excited about this venture, i was also nervous. but who better to do this with than a army girl? so i did it...i zipped through 10 lines, crossed 5 bridges & then repelled back to the ground. point being...believe that you can do whatever you set your mind to...You Can Do It!

Lesson 4: SMILE
as i said a household of 3 small children is VERY active. there is ALOT to be done...something i really didn't have an appreciation for. there wasn't a day that i saw V pouting. she pressed through her VERY ACTIVE day always smiling & ready for more. she was tired but she didn't complain. it takes so much more to frown than it does to smile & smiling always makes someone else feel better which will in turn make you feel better...it's a circle. SMILE! :-)

Lesson 5: Prioritize
everyday that i was there our day was filled with fun & exciting things to do...Patterson, the zoo, bicycle riding, Hocking Hills, etc. one would think that this woman had nothing else to do BUT let us not forget laundry, cooking, dishes, cleaning, etc. somehow she packed all those things into a day. honestly, by 11am i already felt like it was time for bed. she picks & chooses her priorities & the main one is taking up every moment with the things & people you may not have tomorrow...in her case...her kids & hubby. sometimes we get bogged down with worrying about petty things & we forget to enjoy the things that really matter. our time with loved ones it precious & priceless & we forget that other things can wait & will still be there later...even if it is really late. make your time with loved ones count & enjoy it!

there you have it! there were many other lessons but i think those were the main ones. i personally learned to laugh at myself...i found myself posting pics that were NOT entirely flattering of myself but i figured...if you love me...your gonna have to love the REAL me & sometimes the REAL me doesn't always look so hot! at this stage of my life...the REAL me is far better that any other me i've been so grey hair, no mani & no make-up...beneath the surface is a heart of gold! i do have an appt to get my hair done...i do enjoy being girly!

i was also honored to spend time with V & Tobin. V is a doting mother...everywhere we went...she went on & on about her kids. what people may not know about V is that beneath all that MOMMY & ME is a Westpoint graduate...who served in the Army as Military Intelligence & she as well as her hubby (Tobin)are Iraq veterans. not many people know that side of her & she certainly does not dot on herself so i will take the time to do it. and it is most fitting as we celebrate Veteran's Day! so to V & Tobin & the many other people who put their lives on the line for us each & every day...Thank You!

POST VACATION MENTALITY:
...THE SUN WILL COME OUT TOMORROW....WE GOTTA HANG ON TILL TOMORROW & every day can be your HAPPY BIRTHDAY if you choose to...TWINKLE TWINKLE lil star.

Comments

  1. Best blog post ever...it was so nice to see you again, and I know V, T and the kids enjoyed your stay enormously. Good friends are the best! wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. what else can I say but thank YOU. that is one of the most beautiful things someone has ever written about me. we love you girl.
    thanks for you visit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts